The happy and powerful do not go into exile


“The happy and powerful do not go into exile, and there are no surer guarantees of equality among men than poverty and misfortune.” 
― Alexis de TocquevilleDemocracy in America



BIGOTS IN U.S. HISTORY














TRUMP HYENAS (aka Mitch M. & Paul R.)



WHITE HOUSE


















REPUBLICAN PARTY







IMMIGRATION







ICE, DEPORTATION & EXPULSION 









Brown signs bill to protect workers from ICE raids: California Gov. Jerry Brown's pushback against Trump administration policy continued Thursday when he signed into law a bill to require employers - farmers and ranchers included - to ask for a warrant when federal immigration enforcement authorities conduct workplace raids. [POLITICO's Morning Agriculture, October 6, 2017]



(DHS) 







DEMOCRATIC PARTY
















Donald Trump has made a political career out of demonizing people like me.  He announced his presidential campaign by calling Mexicans rapists, criminals and drug dealers. Just last week, he called Haiti and nations in Africa “shithole countries,” saying we should accept more immigrants from Norway instead.  Beyond these racist words, Trump and his administration are rapidly advancing hateful policies. The day before his “shithole countries” comment, ICE raided more than a hundred 7-Eleven stories across the country.
Faced with Donald Trump and the Republican Party’s relentless attacks on immigrants of color, it may be tempting to give up. To let their words define me and my family.  But I choose hope. I’m in this fight because, like my mother, I have hope that the power of the people will change our country. 
My name is America Reyes. I’m a Mexican immigrant who migrated to the US when I was 5 years old. I’m a leader with the Progressive Leadership Alliance of Nevada, a People’s Action member organization.  My parents brought me here with a dream. They wanted a better life for me. Just like them, I work every day to fulfill my dreams and thrive without fear of deportation again. I’ve been an active community member advocating for immigrant communities. I hope to become a lawyer and a judge one day. I want to have the power to carry justice forward and to continue the legacy of generations before me.  I also want to set an example for my younger sisters — I want them to know that we can win when we fight for our dignity. And I fight for a clean Dream Act to honor the fights my parents have gone through to be able to dream.
Every day, about 122 young people like me lose their Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status. That means there are over a hundred youth each day at risk of being torn from their families and the country they call home.  This is a moment of crisis for my family, as it is for so many families across the nation.  I fear for how my younger sisters will feel being torn apart from their big sister. I worry for how my parents will fare having their daughter stolen from them.  I am young woman with rights and dreams. And I deserve to see them through.
Congress is negotiating the fate of 700,000 Dreamers this week. You can call 888-778-6856and be directly connected to your member of Congress.
The stakes couldn’t be higher. Please join me in making the dreams of hundreds of thousands of young immigrants come true. Call Congress today and demand they pass a clean DREAM Act.
Onward,

America Reyes
Leader
Progressive Leadership Alliance of Nevada and People’s Action



ENVIRONMENT

Donald Trump picked climate denier Kathleen Hartnett White to run the Council on Environmental Quality.  Hartnett White is a senior fellow at the Koch Brothers- and Exxon-funded Texas Public Policy Foundation. She believes carbon dioxide is harmless "plant food." She equates belief in climate change to "paganism." And she calls solar and wind power "unreliable and parasitic.”
The Senate Environment and Public Works Committee started considering Hartnett White’s nomination last year. They asked her questions about her views. Not only did she reiterate her anti-science positions, but she also plagiarized some of her responses!  Despite her extreme views, Hartnett White was narrowly voted out of the committee last year. But the full Senate never voted on her nomination. Senate rules require all unconfirmed nominations at the end of the session to be sent back to the White House and renominated -- starting the whole confirmation process again.
That means we can still stop Hartnett White from getting the job. But Republican leadership is trying to rush through the confirmation process. They don’t plan to hold another hearing, despite clear problems with her qualifications for the job.  Public pressure from people like you has stopped other dangerous Trump nominees -- from Sam Clovis to Michael Dourson. Now, we need your help to push the Senate to reject Hartnett White!
Donald Trump is trying to fill his government with Big Polluter cronies who will destroy our environmental protections. The impacts on our health and environment could be devastating. But together, we can stop him.
Kathleen Hartnett White is one of Trump’s most extreme choices yet. We have a real chance to stop her nomination -- but only if you speak up and take action.

Standing with you,
Ben Schreiber,
Senior political strategist,
Friends of the Earth



CANDIDATES






BOOKS









NOTE: The news sources here vary.  Not all sources have the same credibility, but in an effort to share some different perspectives, they are included here.  This compendium itself cannot claim to be unbiased.  Please take into consideration where these different perspectives originate in assessing their value.  Thank you

NOTE: I have no official connection to any organization from which information is shared.. Occasionally, I post informational material and/or an opportunity to donate or join as  a "community service" announcement.  These again are shared for their varying perspectives.

Any books listed are random or topic-related to something else in the post.  Think of these as a "library bookshelf" to browse.  They are shared for informational or entertainment value only, not as being recommended

Comments